Education and Certifications
- Doctor of Pharmacy, University of New Mexico
- MBA, Washington State University
- Medical Assistant Phlebotomist Certification
- Community & Equity Certification
- Registered Pharmacist, Washington, New Mexico
- APhA Pain Management and Safer Opioid Use Certification
- Advanced Teaching Certification
- Medication Therapy Management Certification
- National Immunization Training Certification
- Clinical Community Pharmacist Certification
- REMS SAFE Opioid Prescribing Certification
As an assistant professor at the Washington State University College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, I split my time teaching, at my practice site, and doing research. I am currently practicing at the WSU Research clinic where I act as a clinical lead for patients that are in clinical trials finding novel ways to treat substance use disorders. I teach Point of Care and Clinical Services and Pharmacy Management within the curriculum and offer electives in pharmacy entrepreneurship, personal finance for pharmacists, and substance use disorders. My research focuses on public health efforts for pharmacy and research to understand preventative and treatment interventions for substance use disorder. When I am not teaching, in clinic or doing research, I am able to translate these parts of my job into community outreach efforts. Being able to integrate into the community and provide immunizations, education, and advocacy with students and other members of the care team is really gratifying.
In my spare time I like to…
I love to hike, to run (mostly long distances) and to hang out with my dog and husband!
I love the Coug culture. There is a connectedness within WSU where you feel like you belong. I really appreciate the support that comes with that network.
My Favorite Quote
“I would like to be remembered as someone who used whatever talent she had to do her work to the very best of her ability.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Patient Care Award, University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy (May 2017)
- University of Washington MEDEX Physician Assistant Program Golden Apple Speaker Award (February 2018)
- Spokane Pharmacy Association Pharmacist of the Year (February 2019)
- University of Washington MEDEX Physician Assistant Program Golden Apple Speaker Award (February 2020)
- Washington State University College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences PY4 Faculty Preceptor of the Year (May 2021)
- Washington State University Chancellor’s Excellence Award, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (April 2022)
Smith CL, Bowden T, Keever A, Olson K, Rodin NM, McDonell M, Roll J, Smoody G, Lebrun J, McPherson S. Mobile Medication Adherence Platform for Buprenorphine-Naloxone During Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder: Patient Feedback. Drug and Alcohol Dependence Reports.
Smith, C.L., Rodin, N.M., Hwang, J.Y., Miguel, A.Q.C., Johnson, K., McDonell, M.G., McPherson, S.M. (In Press). Automated Reinforcement Management System (ARMS): Focused provider feedback. Addiction Science and Clinical Practice.
Rodin NM, Bertsch TG, Frazier K, McKeirnan KM. (In Press) Utilizing an optional cumulative examination in a skills-based lab course series to assess student performance and knowledge retention. Curr Pharm Teach Learn.
Miguel A, Smith C, Perea NM, Johnson K, McDonell M, McPherson S. Automated Reinforcement Management System (ARMS): Phase I Methods and Development. JMIR Formative Research. 31/05/2021:25796 Epub 2021 June 1.
Miller J, Rodin NM, McKeirnan K. (In Press) Training Student Pharmacists to Administer Pediatric Vaccinations. Curr Pharm Teach Learn.
Bertsch TG, Denton TT, Perea NM, Ahmed A, McKeirnan KC. Drug development and the process of transitioning to team-based learning in a qualitative way. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2021 Feb; ISSN 1877-1297.
Perea NM, Bertsch TG, McKeirnan KC. Considerations in training student pharmacists to perform physical assessment. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2020 May;12(5):577-584. doi: 10.1016/j.cptl.2020.01.002. Epub 2020 Jan 31. PMID: 32336456.
McKeirnan KC, Perea NM. Chapter 10: Alpha Glucosidase Inhibitors. Medications used in Management of Diabetes. American Diabetes Association. Editor: White J.
McKeirnan KC, Perea NM. Chapter 29: Vaccines. Medications used in Management of Diabetes. American Diabetes Association. Editor: White J.
Rodin NM. Presenter. “Opioids in the Community.” KSPS PBS Public TV. Published February 2021.