- PhD in Toxicology, Hamdard University, India
- MSc in Toxicology, Hamdard University, India
- BSc in Biochemistry, AMU, India
IRB application processing for human subject research, Office of Research Assurance, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
Clinical research associate program and good clinical practice (GCP) certification, Kriger Research International Training Institute, Toronto, Canada
Postdoctoral and other Fellowships
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
Department of Medicine, Division of Rheumatic Diseases, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
Ad Hoc Reviewer
- Human and Experimental Toxicology
- British Journal of Pharmacology
- Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases
- Mediators of Inflammation
- Journal of Functional Foods and Health
- Society of Toxicology
- Women in Toxicology, specific interest group
- Pacific Northwest Association of Toxicologists
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap), administrator for the WSU College of Pharmacy
- PharDSci 519-Pharmaceutics lab
- Instructor of Record Pharmacy Sciences 566- Fundamental of Toxicology
- Instructor of Record PharDSci 547- Drug Development
- Participating instructor
I am a trained toxicologist with my current research interests covering three key areas:
- Toxicology-based approaches in examining the mechanisms of toxicity induced by heavy metals, environmental pollutants, and contaminants;
- Electronic cigarettes and their impact on health and society; and
- Evaluation of teaching and learning methods involved in the pharmacy education. I serve as an HRPP/IRB member at Spokane Health Sciences campus.
Ahmed is a toxicologist with interest in acute toxicity, dermal toxicity, reproductive toxicity, mutagenicity, carcinogenicity, and metal-induced toxicity with emphasis on free radical mediated-oxidative stress and tissue injury.
Prior to WSU Ahmed worked as a clinical research consultant at ADS Biotechnology in Toledo, Ohio.
Service at Washington State University College of Pharmacy
Safety committee chair, 2015 – present
Admission committee member, 2015 – present
Assessment committee member, 2015 – present
Accreditation compliance committee member, 2015 – present
Ahmed S., Riegsecker S., Beamer M., Rahman A., Bellini J.V., Bhansali P., Tillekeratne L.M. (2013) Largazole, a class I histone deacetylase inhibitor, enhances TNF-α-induced ICAM-1 and VCAM-1 expression in rheumatoid arthritis synovial fibroblasts. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 270(2):87-96.
Jones B.A., Riegsecker S., Rahman A., Beamer M., Aboualaiwi W., Khuder S.A., Ahmed S. (2013) Role of ADAM-17, p38 MAPK, cathepsins, and the proteasome pathway in the synthesis and shedding of fractalkine/CX₃CL1 in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis & Rheumatology 65(11):2814-25.
Mancuso P, Rahman A, Hershey S.D., Dandu L, Nibbelink K.A., Simpson R.U. (2008) 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin-D3 treatment reduces cardiac hypertrophy and left ventricular diameter in spontaneously hypertensive heart failure-prone (cp/+) rats independent of changes in serum leptin. Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology 51(6):559-64.